Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Lies I might have told

I woke up around 3.00am this morning, thinking about my blog.

I was thinking of posting an item about my grandmother. I had the whole thing written in my head, a few illustrations to go with it, and then I realized that I couldn't remember how many sisters she had.

So I made it up.

Then I felt guilty about lying in my blog. What if someone read it that knew how many sisters my grandmother really had?

Then I remembered a letter I wrote to my Great Aunt Dora (the one sister I know for sure my grandmother had) back in 1968, and how I said something in that letter that was not true (out of ignorance and carelessness).

That really made me feel bad.

So I turned on the light and played Sudoku for an hour to get it out of my mind.

The things you think at 3.00 in the morning!

3 comments:

Judith said...

3 a.m. is NOT a good time to be awake and thinking - very unforgiving!

What a lovely forthcoming and friendly look your grandmother has. So often in pictures of that period everyone looks stern and rigid.

Thanks for visiting. I'm not comfortable reading blogs with a black background, but I'll try to look in from time to time.

Anne said...

You are not the first person to say that about the background colour, so I am changing it. Hope this works better for you.

Yes it is a very interesting photo, I think the same about her expression. Unfortunately my view of her when I was a child was quite different, so this photo makes me wonder about the person she was that I never really knew.

Pete said...

Three in the morning is the time when everything is a problem and no problem has a solution. Rock stars and graveyard shift workers notwithstanding, I think we are not really nocturnal creatures.

The associations of thought you trace sound very familiar to me, but I'm here to tell you that anything you said in 1968 that you haven't gone to jail for already is over and done with. Finished. Through. So, absolution for any fibs you told your grandmother is there for the taking.

I remember both of my grandmothers. Neither of them was particularly friendly, and both of them lived to be positively ancient. I have no specific recollections of massaging the truth to them, but it almost certainly would have been necessary to get along with them.