Sunday, April 13, 2008

Tired of waiting

I went out and bought a flat of pansies at Fiesta Gardens and today I planted then in our front yard (dirt patch).





Other than the odd crocus there is nothing in bloom on our street, except for these guys. I am tired of waiting.







In my old home of New Westminster, spring comes on gradually, beginning in February. Wave after wave of flowers, starting with the crocuses and daffodils, through the primulas and tulips and into the rhododendrons. We had winter pansies to get us through the winter season.

Here, spring is late but fast. After a long winter it really feels good to see the daily changes, the rising temperatures, the robins returning, and the crocuses and snowdrops piercing through the remaining snowbanks. It's kind of exciting.

I can't say I prefer one over the other, but I do miss February flowers.

We don't get much sun on our side of the street, so the pansies will have to make do with this.

No comments: