Sunday, July 27, 2008

A bit of a break

Yesterday I went down to the Valley to do some shopping. I took Dobby with me, but since I forgot to pack his leash I couldn't let him out of the truck. I felt bad about that, it was a hot muggy day there. I had quite a list that involved running around to New Minas and Wolfville, but one of the items on my list was quite elusive. Closed cell foam weatherstripping. That is for making a watertight seal on the hatch covers of the kayak. Mike used it on Ruth's kayak which he built in 2000, but apparently they don't sell the stuff anymore, or not around here anyway. I went to three different places and no one had it.

One place had it but on a rigid linear backing so I wouldn't be able to bend it to fit around a kayak hatch opening. Fellow in that store said he didn't know where I might be able to find what I was looking for, then suggested a store in Canning that might have it. He also pointed out some foam used to insulate pipes and wondered if I'd be able to cut that to fit the hatches. At $0.79 apiece, it certainly is worth a try, but I don't think it's going to work.

I decided not to go to Canning to track down the store he mentioned, save that for another day. I was hot and tired and so apparently was Dobby, I just wanted to go home. Returning to the Harbour it was cold and foggy there, what a difference!

For the rest of the day I was in some kind of funk, just couldn't get up the energy to do anything. Sheila asked, Did you see the sunset? Not even, I sat with my back to the window reading a book about the Great Sealing Disaster of 1914 in Newfoundland (unless you're into tragic misery, you don't want to know). I did however have a glass of wine and sit in the hot tub after dark. But I'd been fiddling with the buttons on the tub the last time I used it, and apparently I reduced the temperature to a couple of degrees below comfortable. So there I am, sitting in a big tepid puddle in the dark, drinking my wine real fast so I can get the heck out of there!

Today is a gorgeous sunny day though, the view of the Bay is fantastic, and I had a great time running the dogs with Sheila. They sure do enjoy their time together! This afternoon I hope to accomplish a bit on the kayak.

I've cleaned up the house and done a laundery in anticipation of the owners returning today from Cape Breton. So this will be the last post for a few days, bye bye to daily internet access.

The computer here is upstairs under a skylight.

















I have the skylight open and I lift my eyes above the computer monitor to see Cape Split in the Bay of Fundy.

There's a bit of mist out there, and a thin line of fog up the middle of the Bay.

It must be low tide, I can see the rocky beach around the tip of the Cape.

I sure will miss this view!

1 comment:

Barbara Anne said...

Hi Anne!

Wow! What a view! If I really hurry, do you suppose I can get there to visit you before the owners get home?

Is there anything to be gained by keeping Dobby's lead in the truck?

Hope you can find the product you've been looking for or find something else just as good.

I've enjoyed your daily internet access,too!