Saturday, July 12, 2008

Cutting and glassing

It was a lovely day today and I spent most of it working. Well, I don't mind, the Garden House has lots of windows and doors to leave open, and nice views of the woods and the sunshine from any of them. A little breeze to keep me cool, a thermos of coffee and a couple of molasses cookies, and I am happy to spend the day puttering on the kayak.

This morning I made a new list, based on looking at Ruth's kayak last night, and then a table to prioritize the tasks since there are now so many of them that don't appear to be sequential. If there were enough hours in the day I could do everything at once it seems. So I have to sort out what is sequential and what is not, and then allot tasks to days according to how long I think they will take and how long I really want to work on any one day.

Today I spent mostly cutting out bits and pieces for the kayak, hatch "lips" that will support the hatch covers when done, the forward bulkhead, and a couple of thigh braces. I had to make a template for the bulkhead before I could cut it out and that was the most difficult part of the job.

In the process of tidying up my worktable in preparation for today's work, I discovered a tool I could have used a while ago. I don't know its name but it is for measuring angles and transferring them to, say, a template for a bulkhead. Most annoying to find that after I am done making the last bulkhead template.

The hatch lips were the hardest to cut out, and there were four of them. I thought all the cutting would take a couple of hours and then I could do some fibreglassing, but I ended up spending most of the day on the cutting.

Sometime around 4.00pm I started sanding the edges of the coaming pieces in preparation for apply epoxy. The lower coaming pieces are cut from 5/8" old plywood that was formerly used as construction staging, so its surfaces are very rough and need considerable sanding. The upper coaming pieces need a bit of sanding to get their curves in line with the curves of the lower coaming pieces.

Only the upper coamings need fibreglass, I cut out small pieces from a couple of strips to cover the curves of the coaming, and then apply epoxy to the glass and wood. That goes fairly quickly. The lower coamings need some thickened epoxy to fill in some of the larger gaps that could not be sanded out.

After tidying up I go home for supper, and after supper I return to the Garden House to trip the edges of the epoxied fibreglass off the coamings. I left it a couple of hours to get tacky but I think I could have left it longer.

Either that or I should have left more scrap around the edges to make it easier to trim.

Note to self for future coaming and hatch lip glassing.

2 comments:

Barbara Anne said...

Hi Anne!

How lovely to have a choice of what to do and in what order! You were also wise to make a list of the choices so nothing is forgotten.

My DH is a woodworker and cabinetmaker and says your angle transfer tool might be a sliding bevel square.

The kayak is looking wonderful and you should find someone to give you a well-deserved pat on the back. It wouldn't do to pat yourself because you could pull a muscle and what a bummer that would be.

Hugs! :D

Barbara Anne said...

Hi again!

It's now the 21st of July and there's been no update, so hope you're just merrily making great progress and are too close to the finish line to get to a computer.

I send you an email about the vendor at the Halifax Farmer's Market who I like so much, but she won't be there in the coming weeks due to other commitments. I think you won't see her even if you drive all the way to Halifax. Her business is called Patternworks and she lives in Chester. No website yet.

Be good to you!

Hugs! Barbara