Thursday, July 10, 2008

Warbler thump, drop and roll

I managed to sleep in this morning, until past 8.30am. Still tired though, I think the humidity is getting to me. Every joint feels stiff and tired.

Fortunately it is not nearly as hot here as in the Valley.

While eating breakfast I heard a thump against the kitchen window.

I went outside and sure enough, there was a stunned little bird on the ground below the window.





Very pretty with yellow and black feathers and what appeared to be yellow eyelashes, but its back was bent at an alarming 90 degree angle.

It was breathing and blinking its eyes but otherwise motionless.

I thought about picking it up and bringing it indoors, but I was afraid its back was broken and I would just hurt it by moving it.

I took a couple of pictures of it, and then it suddenly flipped itself into an upright position.

That was hopeful.









I took a few more pictures as it sat there still not moving very much.

Finally I went indoors.

After half an hour I went back out and it was gone, hopefully it flew away unharmed.

I looked this bird up in my birdbook and the closest I can identify it is as the Magnolia Warbler.

I wonder if this is the bird I hear in the vault in the evening.

1 comment:

Barbara Anne said...

Oh dear! What a pretty little bird and cheers for your wisdom in not picking him or her up. So glad the bird is likely to be just fine.

Love the pictures! :D