Thursday, August 14, 2008

Last trip to the city

We went out early to walk the dogs because I wanted to get away early to the city. Before I left I did another coat of urethane on the deck. The urethane is so easy! It is downright pleasurable to use urethane instead of epoxy. And so quick!

I had a fairly successful trip into town to get what I need to finish the kayak. I got a different kayak cockpit cover, some inchworms, some rope and tie-downs for transporting the kayak. It started raining around 1.00pm and rained hard for the rest of the day. I was back home by 5.00pm.

When I got home it was cold in the house so I decided to light a fire, but to do that I needed to chop a log into kindling. Got thoroughly wet doing that, and of course by that time the wood was wet too so it was a pretty slow fire getting started.

Out of nowhere a bat appeared sitting on the wood stove. I tried to shoo it off the stove before it burned its feet but it just hissed at me. I finally got it onto the floor and then caught it in a plastic bag to put outdoors. For some reason it did not want to fly. It crawled under the house to get out of the rain. Very strange watching a bat crawl, it has little claws on its wings and it has to spread its wings to crawl.

I may add pictures later, but right now I am in a bit of a hurry.

4 comments:

Barbara Anne said...

Your new name is ANNE THE INTREPID because you have done all of this and also faced down and caught a bat. No pictures needed thank you very much!!

:D

Steven said...

Congratulations! I've thoroughly enjoyed your project. I've read every post... which made me look into the possibility of building one myself. Just a thought.

Anne said...

Hi Barbara,

I posted a photo of the bat before I read your comment, so you'll have to close your eyes when you get down to that part ;-)

Anne said...

Hi Steven, glad you enjoyed it, now that it's behind me I enjoyed it too. Not sure I could say that whole heartedly at the time though.

If you are thinking of doing it yourself, there are some good books on Amazon about kayak building. I'd recommend one or two but I still feel like a novice at this so can't really say what's good and what's not. So I guess you have to read the reviews carefully.

Mike's current kayak is skin-covered, called a baidarka. Very interesting design, very beautiful, and involves no epoxy. And in my view, that's a BIG plus!