Sunday, August 3, 2008

To paint or not to paint

Today I sanded and epoxied. The kayak was still up on its side, I switched it to the other side to get at parts that I could not get at before. Then I put it back right side up to do the epoxying.

I had epoxied the left inside face of the coaming before, this time I epoxied the right inside face. I also added two small strips of fibreglass to the seams between the two top coaming pieces. I sanded as much as I could of the bulkhead epoxy fillets and also any other rough spots I could feel in the cockpit and two hatch areas. I filled a couple of spots along the sheer seam fibreglass strips, where the glass formed small folds that stood up a bit from the wood. I sanded them down as much as I could and then filled them with thickened epoxy.

A picture would be worth a few hundred words ;-), you're getting the words instead.

Mike has gone to pick up Ruth at the airport, he said he wanted to go to Mountain Equipment himself so he could pick up the bits of hardware I still need. Actually, I need some stuff at the Trail Shop too, so if he has time he'll check there.

Peter and his daughter Emily came by to look, Peter said it looked good, almost finished. He expressed the opinion that I should consider painting the kayak rather than leaving it clear. He said paint would hide small imperfections and put the emphasis on the lines of the boat instead of the wood itself. Also, he felt, I would be less anxious paddling a painted boat than a "work of art". He said, If it gets scratched, you're not going to worry, you'll just throw some more paint on it.

He then told a story of losing Nancy's plastic kayak on a lake; by the time they found it (it had floated away off a beach), it was way down the lake upside down and scratched up. But scratches on a plastic kayak are no big deal. Can you imagine that happening to a nice handmade wooden kayak?

His reasoning makes sense to me.

Worked some more on my sticks. The poplar doesn't peel as easily as the other woods do, the bark does not come off in long strips as it does on the maple and willow. So, I cut some spiral lines into the bark and only partially peeled the wood, a long spiral line from top to bottom.

The willow that I peeled yesterday turned bright pink!

The birch has some nice reddish brown markings left from the bark, I could scrape it all off but I kind of like it so I'm leaving it on.

I'd also like to cut some alder and mountain ash to see what that wood is like to work with. Mike suggested spruce, but I'm not so keen on that, too straight I guess.
There was thunder off and on all afternoon. In the evening it sounded more serious, and there was lightning, but no rain. The rain finally came around 10.30pm and it rained quite heavily. Some came in the roof around the chimney, I put a basin there to catch the drips. On the radio they said there were thunderstorms and even a funnel cloud in one part of the province.

1 comment:

Barbara Anne said...

Hi Anne,

I can see the sense in painting the kayak, but it is beautiful as it is without paint. Good luck deciding what to do and, if you paint it, in choosing a color that will please you forever or until you paint it again!

I'd love to see your walking sticks and wonder if you might borrow a camera to take a few photos? I may just take a walk in our woods to see if there are any potential walking sticks to be found there.

Please send the rain here.

Hugs!