Friday, June 25, 2010

The hummingbird

For various reasons I have not put up any birdfeeders this summer. So the blue jays don't come and I hear other birds but rarely see them. The occasional warbler and of course the junco. And the hummingbirds.

Lots of people around here have hummingbird feeders so I am not too worried about them, but I guess they remember my feeder from last year because they still come around, presumably looking for it. I don't see them but I do hear the distinctive hum of their wings.

This morning I was standing under a tall spruce beside my house and I heard a hummingbird. I looked up to see if I could see it. And I did! It was of course looking for the feeder in the general vicinity of where it used to hang, but not finding it I think it saw me and was trying to check me out without me seeing it. So it was flitting around just beyond the spruce branches, kind of peeking at me between the branches. It did this for several seconds, finally coming within five feet of my face, hovering in the air looking directly at me.

Later in the day I was in the back door shed and I heard it again. This time it hovered just outside the doorway and looked in at me. For a moment it looked like it was considering flying right in, but it flew away instead.

I think it was trying to tell me to put up my feeder again.

1 comment:

Barbara Anne said...

If that isn't a polite but eloquent way for a hummingbird to ask for the feeder to be up and filled, I don't know what is!

I hope you'll take care of this simple request quickly so your brave little neighbor will link her request to your action.

How cool is that?!

Hugs!!