Thursday, May 3, 2012

May be...


The kayak trip was scheduled for this week, from Tuesday to Saturday. I bowed out, I did not want to leave Hapi for that long. This would be the first time, and I just felt it was too long for a first time. However, I was not the only one who could not manage 5 days, only two women went. Looks like they are getting good weather for the trip.

Instead, I am planning to go on an all-day trip with a couple of the women who could not make it for the 5 day trip. We intend to cover the same route, but much faster obviously. And, as luck would have it, we might get some rain. I have a dogsitter lined up for Hapi, she will take Hapi for a full day and one night as a trial run. Michelle runs a doggy daycare and also keeps dogs overnight as needed. She does not have a kennel, she just keeps the dogs in the house with her own dogs. Some friends of mine use her doggy daycare service and are quite happy with it. I am kind of looking forward to this, I am hoping it works out and I can do it again sometime.

The route we are kayaking will be about 16-18 km, paddling with the current along a canal and through two lakes. One lake is long and narrow and we might encounter wind in the wrong direction there, but hopefully not. We will leave one car at the end so that we can drive back to the start to pick up the other car. The black flies are just starting to make their presence known, but not too bad yet. I was walking in the woods with Hapi near where we will be kayaking the other day and I did not encounter any.

One of the places we walk regularly, the Acadia woods, has a small pond with four goldfish in it. The pond is actually an old well, so it is steep-sided and you can't wade into it. Hapi is totally fixated on those fish. Whenever we go to the woods she has to go to the pond, and when I get bored of watching her pacing around the pond staring at the fish, I have to drag her away. I think she hopes that if she waits long enough one day a fish will jump right into her mouth.

Hapi...

The fish...

The garden is now fenced and the paths between the raised beds mulched with the remains of the spruce trees.I had to fence because Hapi likes to dig, and she thinks the manure in the garden is tasty. She was already digging up the peas before I got this fence up. It takes up a lot of space, it seems to dominate my backyard now. But of course, besides the grass the other plants are only beginning to emerge.



Speaking of, I have to mow today, the grass is getting quite long. I seem to have done something to my ankle, I think I have tendinitis in it. Which is bad, with a big dog I can't stay off of it and of course that is how you treat such things. Also fence-building, mulching and mowing are not things I should be doing either.

Kayaking should be good for it though.

2 comments:

Wisewebwoman said...

Impressed. Much.
But not by ankle. Stay safe Old Maritimer.
XO
WWW

Anne said...

I am so behind with all my blog friends, so this is a very belated comment. I hope the trip went well, the ankle is healed and Hapi had a nice time with the dog sitter. Now what's happening? There must be things growing in those raised beds!