Thursday, June 15, 2017

Dancing and Hiking


We had several days of hot weather and then a couple of cool days. On the cool days I did work around the place: painting, lawn mowing, weeding, that sort of thing. An old friend from out west came to visit for three days; she spent one day at each of three friends' places and I was her first stop. Unfortunately it was a day of solid rain, over 40 mm which was a record apparently. No matter, we ate and drank and yakked and laughed.

In the evening we went to a dance in a small community hall outside of town and we decided to taxi so we wouldn't have to worry about how much we had to drink. The cabby didn't know the way, he was going to take us in the opposite direction. He didn't know how much to charge us either so his dispatcher told him what to charge. On our trip home the cabby (a different one) asked us how much the other guy charged us so he would know what he was supposed to charge.

The band was great and I danced the whole time we were there. Very few men danced, mostly women; I think the men were waiting to be asked.

One of my neighbours built a small shelter for my heat pump a few weeks ago so now I am painting it. I think I have one more coat to go. My garden is at that stage where the weeds are coming on fast and furious so I have to work hard to keep up with them. I have so much salad greens I am almost (but not quite!) sick of salad. Can't wait for the peas and beans and beet greens. I didn't plant tomatoes this year, I had a bumper crop last year and still have lots of frozen and canned tomatoes left. Many of my weeds are actually little tiny tomato plants from my compost. I thought I'd let them go for a bit and then pick three or four of the best looking to transplant to one empty bed and pull the rest out.

I hiked on Monday out Cape Split. It's a 15 km round trip through the forest until you come out at the tip of the cape. It points into the Bay of Fundy, splitting the flow in two. They say it is Glooscap's stone canoe, beached on Blomidon. So at the tip you are looking down the Bay from a high narrow cliff with a bit of grass on it. Cape Split used to belong to the Jodrey family who made their money logging all over the province. But they never logged Cape Split, they let it be. Recently it was turned over to the province for a park and now it has a parking lot and outhouses and little signs telling you how far you are walking and please mind your step on the edge of the cliff. I made the mistake of taking Hapi out there five years ago and discovered there was no water available for her to drink. I just assumed there would be brooks but no such luck. So I didn't bring her with me this time because I didn't want to lug in any more water than I had to. Anyway, she's older now and it was a hot day so I don't know if she would have been up for a 15 km walk. I was exhausted at the end.




No comments: