Tuesday, June 19, 2018

Friday June 19 - Yukon

Snafu Lake - sunny and warm

Before leaving Squanga Lake I tried casting with my borrowed fishing rod, but the lake was so shallow that even the lightest lure dragged in the mud at the bottom. I could see it zooming under the mud toward me when I reeled it in, like a worm on drugs. The Japanese cyclist in the campsite next to me had a squirrel trying to eat his breakfast, so he photographed it then blew smoke in its face to chase it away.

I drove the short distance to Whitehorse, stopping along the way at Miles Canyon. During the Klondike Gold Rush, prospectors had to ship their supplies through this narrow channel on their way north. Because of the extremely strong currents this was dangerous and many bargefuls of supplies were lost there.

Miles Canyon
In Whitehorse I booked some internet time at the library and took some camera film in to be developed. I bought groceries and gas while I waited for my time slot. Then I got on the computer and read some email from friends at home. It almost made me wish I had stayed home, I was still missing Ray and Laurena and now I missed my home friends. I missed the Potluck Hikers and the Salon.

Downtown Whitehorse is very small and laid out as a grid in a bend in the Yukon River. The airport sits on top of a cliff overlooking the town. After a few hours of errands, internet time and just wandering around I headed out again. I had decided to visit Atlin, one of the northernmost towns in BC and it can only be reached from the Yukon. The Alaska Highway hugs the border between BC and the Yukon, mostly in the Yukon but sometimes dipping down into BC. Anyway, my plan is to visit Atlin via Carcross and Tagish, and then to return to Whitehorse and go on to Dawson City and the Dempster Highway. The Dempster connects Dawson City to Inuvik in the NWT near the Arctic Ocean, in the summer it is the only way to reach Inuvik by land.

I stopped at the Tagish bridge to nap in the back of the truck and then stopped briefly to see the Carcross Desert. It is a very tiny desert.

I then drove into Atlin, arriving there around 7 pm. The drive wasn't that great, a lot of dirt road and scrubby forest.

The town is quaint with many turn-of-the-century buildings, a grounded steamship that used to ply Atlin Lake, a three-storey pyramid-shaped house, and a stunning backdrop of snow-capped mountains and a glacier across the lake from the town. I took a few photos and headed back toward Whitehorse with the intention of stopping at a campsite just across the Yukon border for supper.

Atlin Mountain and Atlin Lake
I didn't really like the first campground I came to, Tarfu Lake, so I continued on to the next one at Snafu Lake. And the first thing I saw there was Ray and Laurena's camper truck, what a surprise! I was so glad to see them and they seemed glad to see me too. It was such an unbelievable chance to run into them again in such an out-of-the-way place, I was totally amazed!

They were headed to Atlin and after that were going to Whitehorse. I found a nice campsite on a little sandy hilltop overlooking the lake and had my supper there. I was so hungry and it was so late, I didn't finish supper until 10 pm. Then I did some journal writing. By 11.15 pm the light was just starting to dim, but there was still enough to write by.

Snafu Lake

No comments: