Thursday, December 4, 2008

Exciting times

Exciting times here in Canada. Long but excellent explanation of what's going on over at the Yarn Harlot. I quibble with a few of the definitions and details, and she definitely gives a biased opinion on the matter, but since I share her bias I'm not going to quibble too much on that. I have yet to hear an unbiased opinion from anyone, so I guess it's just not possible to sit on the fence on this one.

Within half an hour this post will be obsolete, the Prime Minister is or has just finished speaking with the GG about what to do next. I am hoping she (the GG) will refuse the PM's request to prorogue Parliament, effectively handing the government over to the new Coalition. However, this is a polarizing issue here, essentially western Canada supports the PM and eastern Canada supports the Coalition, with of course lots of exceptions at both ends of the country. But it is divisive and that is unfortunate.

One commentator I heard said that Harper is truly amazing, in his short career he has successfully united both the Right and the Left, something probably no politician in the world has ever achieved. Gotta hand it to the guy, impressive accomplishment!

1 comment:

Barbara Anne said...

Hi Anne,

So how did the election turn out? Are you pleased? Waiting to hear!

Huts!