Thursday, February 5, 2009

Almost done

I've been working on a hat for Sam's birthday. Of course, from what he tells me about the weather at his place, he won't get much use out of it before next winter.









The hat is modelled on an old hat of mine, one I made in the '70s. But because I used multiple colours and a softer yarn, the cable pattern does not show up as clearly as on the old hat. It gives it a nice textured look, but you can't really see the cables.

On the first go-round, I ended the top of the hat with a kind of beige and red bull's eye, but it didn't look right. So I redid it.













The old hat has faded a lot, you can see the difference in colour in this picture, with the brim unfolded.








There are still a few ends to weave in but it is otherwise done. I can send it off and move on to another project.

3 comments:

Barbara Anne said...

Wild applause, oh creative one!!!! You even changed yarn color. Well done!

Love the hat, the cable stitch, and the fact that your hands will work together in such cooperation. Mine won't for some reason.

What's next?

Hugs!

One Woman's Journey said...

Beautiful. Wish I had someone to teach me to knit. Take Care and Have a Wonderful Day.

Anne said...

Thank you Ernestine! If there is no one nearby to teach you, you could look for online videos showing how to knit. One site is http://www.knittinghelp.com, another is http://community.knitpicks.com/notes/Notes_Home.

It's tricky at first, so you have to be patient!