Thursday, March 26, 2009

Hat slippers and sock

My second beret is finally done and I have worn it a couple of times.

It fits perfectly.

The original pattern I drew for this was completely unrealistic, it called for knitting up to four colours of yarn in the same row, and you're only supposed to do two. Which I learned the hard way. So I redrew the pattern with only two colours at a time, except for about three rows where the pink changes to blue near the top, but those rows are fairly short and so not too bad.

Three colours in a single row is barely doable but four is outrageous, as I found out.

I didn't think I would get a chance to wear it this spring because it seemed to be warming up so fast, but we've had a few chilly days so a nice woollen beret is just the ticket!

After a few uses, I had to tighten up the opening, it was starting to slide down over my eyes. I did one row of single crochet inside the brim to tighten it.







I also finished my slippers, finally finished punching holes in the leather so I could lace them onto the knitted slippers.

It took a long time because punching the holes was boring, so I would only do a dozen or so at a time.









The yarn needle in the picture is fantastic, it has a large loop at the tail-end instead of a tiny slot for threading the yarn onto it.

Very handy and easy to use!



I've now started a sock.

2 comments:

Barbara Anne said...

Applause, applause!!!! Love the beret and I stand amazed that you can understand the instructions to amend them to suit you and to have such a beautiful beret to show for it!

That needle with the large eye is the best!

Your new sock is in my favorite colors. What am I saying? I love all colors!

Your tall ship mug is wonderful, too!!

Hugs!

Anne said...

Hi Barbara Anne

Thank you!

The mug was my mother's, I think she got it on a visit to Nova Scotia. I like the size, it's big!