Thursday, October 16, 2008

Back to D'Arcy

Service engine soon

On Tuesday I headed back to D'arcy for a last visit with Sam. I would have liked to stay longer but I had also arranged to see Josh and Kim one last time before I left and the only time we could fit that in was on Thursday night.

This was the first time I loaded the kayak onto the truck entirely by myself, without any backup. It went fairly smoothly.

But I had a bunch of running around to do before I could leave, shopping, returning books to the library, etc etc, so I didn't get away until after 2:00pm.

I bought a bike lock and bike pump at Canadian Tire in Barrie a couple of months ago and then found my own bike lock, so I decided to return the new bike lock to the Canadian Tire in Squamish, en route to Sam's.

Just before I pulled in there, the yellow "Service Engine Soon" light came on. Uh oh.

So I went to the auto service counter to ask them what that meant and what it would cost me to get the computer diagnostic done. The guy there said that it was not likely to be urgent, and the diagnostic would cost $90. So I decided to just continue on for now.

Otherwise, the trip was uneventful. The yellow light went off after that, flickered once before Whistler and then stayed off for the rest of the trip.

I got to D'arcy just as Sam was getting off work, so we went for a brisk walk in the woods. I asked Sam about the bear he had seen the last time I was there, he said he hadn't seen it since. So I felt OK about going for walks by myself.

Don't park on hillsides

The next day I went out on Anderson Lake with my kayak. Another first, I unloaded and reloaded the kayak by myself there.

Unfortunately I was parked in a kind of awkward spot on a hillside, and while trying to get the kayak off the roof, I slipped and fell with the kayak in my lap. The bow hit the pavement hard.

But apparently no harm done.

I paddled along the east side of the lake, looking at the cabins along there and the forest.

Once I ran the kayak right up onto a submerged tree trunk, but I was easily able to slip off again.

Returning to the D'arcy dock was fine, but again I slipped and dropped the kayak on the gravel slope when trying to get the kayak back onto the roofrack.

Note to self: don't park on hillsides.

Well, I would have parked somewhere else if I could have, there just wasn't anywhere else to go. And I am getting a little more confident about the sturdiness of the kayak, dropping it does not seem to be such a big deal.

I took all these photos during walks in the woods around Sam's cabin, I didn't take my camera with me in the kayak because I didn't want to have to worry about it getting wet.

.This last picture is a piece of lichen. It grows on a lot of the trees around here and is a brilliant neon lime green. But the photo turned out kind of pale, I had to fiddle with the colour on the computer to get it to look like it did in real life. But that made the background kind of weird.

1 comment:

Barbara Anne said...

Hummmmm ... don't park on hillsides might be a pretty good motto for life. Ya think?!

Love your bravery and adventures! You do good wood work!!!!!!!!!

Hugs!