Saturday, June 13, 2009

Rainy day in paradise

Yesterday I took my truck in to get it safetied. Or rather, find out what I needed to do to get it safetied. I go to a little place in Port Williams. Ed looked the truck over, speculated on whether a ball joint needed work, had his co-worker look at it and they decided that it was loose but not critical, then Ed gave me a list of three things I must attend to in order to get my sticker: the cracked windshield, the hole in the tailpipe and another small hole in one of the quarter panels. He also gave me the phone numbers of the shops to get the tailpipe and windshield work done, and I think he expects me to patch the quarter panel hole myself. Or get a friend to do it. He said he's backed up a couple of weeks so he can't do the work himself.

Carolyn and I went out for dinner and then to her house to watch a video, Outsourced. It's about an American in Seattle who finds out his entire department is being laid off and the work outsourced to a call centre in Mumbai; he has to go there to train them. So off he goes and the rest of the film is set in Mumbai, with lots of Indian music and a bit of romance and dancing. A learning experience on both sides about cultural differences, but particularly for the American. No big names, just an enjoyable film especially if you like "Bollywood"-style, which I do.

While we were having dinner we talked about the NDP win on Tuesday. Carolyn noted that before her daughter Erica was born, the NDP were a ragtag bunch of folks way out on the fringes of political life, with no hope of even getting a candidate elected to the Assembly, let alone a majority. Erica, who is twenty-seven now, was amazed. She had listened to her parents talk about the NDP and change all her life, never really thinking it could happen.

You know, you get used to being on the fringe of things, on the outside looking in, you think that is all there is. But people who believed in it worked for it and after twenty-seven years the provincial NDP became a fixture, a significant part of political life, and finally a real alternative. You start working for something that no one believes could ever happen, and you make it happen. It takes time but it happens.

The last few days there have been occasional rain showers, but today it was raining hard all day. I actually got bored! Sitting in the house gazing out at the wet wet woods, not in the mood to read or knit or anything else indoors and not willing to go out and get drenched. So I finally started phoning some of those repair people and got an appointment to get the tailpipe fixed this afternoon in New Minas. I got lost trying to find the shop but eventually got there. They also did an oil change for me.

Peter, if you're reading this, the muffler man commented on how clean my truck engine was. I said, Yeah, that's my brother, he did that. You should see his engine!

The windshield guy will come to the Harbour on Monday to fix my truck, he only takes cash so I went to the bank machine for that. I'll check with Mike this weekend about how to fix the other hole. Then all I have to do is drop by Ed's shop to get my safety sticker.

They say the rain will stop sometime around midnight...

~ ~ ~

Saturday morning: The rain has indeed stopped and we are supposed to see the sun later today. All Nova Scotia is ecstatic over the Pittsburgh Penguins' win last night. Against the odds, they took the Cup!

And a quick note to suggest you check out The Baxter's Harbour Blog, Sheila's been working hard on that! One of my favourites is an all-too-short video clip of Dennis and Jennifer playing their fiddles at the concert last week.

5 comments:

20th Century Woman said...

Life in a small place is pretty good, isn't it? Rain can be trying though. Out here in the Pacific Northwest we are, as usual, waiting for the sun. It should be out this afternoon, but no rain since we got back from Manley.

The bettery on my car is caput, but Jerry is taking it out and will put in a new one.

20th Century Woman said...

Of course I mean the battery.

Barbara Anne said...

Whoo Hoooooo! The Penguins won!!! Happy dancing in this household, too!! Wonder if we like them because we're all on Linux?

I love rainy days, so please send some south to us. Ta!

I do admire your willingness to tackle anything and now you'll add truck hole patching to your CV! Way to go, Lizzie!

Hugs!

Alan G said...

We use to have to go through those "safety inspections" every year but they stopped them about ten years or more ago. I realize they do serve a purpose but they are a pain in the rear. From time to time there are rumors about the State starting them up again since it creates a source of revenue.

Congratulations on the "Cup" win!

Annie said...

20-CW: I think the smaller the place the bigger the details become, life slows down and magnifies... so when you're bored, you're really bored! Seriously though, it is pretty good.

Hope Jerry's battery replacement went smoothly. My battery is hanging in there but I'm not sure how many more Toronto winters it will take. This could be the last one, may be the last one, I don't kno-o-ow... (to coin a song :-)

Barbara Anne, I have really tried hard to avoid adding bodywork to my repertoire, but not having my favourite Seattle body guy handy, I am on my own with this one. As it is, the other repairs are costing a bunch so doing this one myself hopefully will save me a bit of cash. Sigh...

Alan, around here they definitely serve a purpose! You'd be amazed at the lousy vehicles people would be driving if it weren't for safety inspections. I don't know how much money the local government makes on this, the fee for the inspection is paid to the garage that does it, I don't know if they pay a fee to the government for the privilege of collecting this money. I always thought it was a way to keep small garages in business, and I don't mind doing that.

Pittsburgh is not exactly a Nova Scotian town, just their team captain. The Cup will go to Pittsburgh, but Nova Scotians are very proud of their native son.