Sunday, April 20, 2008

Weekend in Barrie, Bunny takes a trip

This weekend felt like the first weekend of summer. Hot. I kept looking at the trees, wondering why they had no leaves.

Had a good visit with my brother and his family in Barrie, he's lost some weight since the last time I saw him and is looking very fit. He invited me to go for a walk with him on Saturday morning, at 6.30am. He woke me up at 6.00am and we walked down to the lakeshore and along the boardwalk there for a ways, then turned around and came back, picking up some coffee for breakfast. That pretty much left me exhausted for the rest of the day! I'm going to have to work at it if I expect to be as fit as my brother, it's been a long time since I could say that.

Later in the day we walked over to a mall and did a bit of shopping. I bought an outfit I can use as a bathing suit in Belize, but also can wear kayaking or jogging or just working in the garden. It's completely synthetic, made from material that dries quickly and protects against UV. I got three pieces, a sports bra, a pair of shorts and a shirt. They are snug-fitting, so they won't balloon up in the water. It's not that I need a new bathing suit, but I did want to have something that I could wear while snorkelling that would protect against the sun. And being a certain age, I'm happy not to expose all my skin while swimming; this outfit provides coverage and looks good. It was expensive though, way more than I would ever pay for a bathing suit. But since it can be used for other things as well, I felt justified in paying for it. I had hoped to do all my Belize shopping errands so I wouldn't have to go shopping in Toronto, but I didn't really succeed. I still have a few more things to pick up so I will have to go shopping tomorrow or Thursday.

I checked my email when I got home today, there was one from a friend in Seattle. I had said I would be out west this summer and wondered if I could stop by to visit, he replied that was fine and he'd make space in his fridge for me. I kind of did a double take on that: in his fridge? What exactly did he have in mind? Then I realized that the last few times I have visited him I have had a cooler full of food in my truck that I would ask to put in his fridge while I was there. He knows me better than I do!

Another bit of news, tonight is Bunny's last night with me. When I arrived home, Gretel's Dad Karl (aka the Seafood Express) was here for a brief visit. And Bunny had kind of trashed my place. Apparently she thinks that when I am not home there is no need to use the litter box, rugs are just fine. So I asked Karl if he was up for taking Bunny back to PEI with him. He said it wouldn't be a problem.

I just think that travelling with her might not be realistic, I would have to constantly be watching her to keep her from escaping, I'm not sure she would enjoy it and I don't think I would either. Better she just have a new home. I would like to keep her but that's only going to work if I stay put, and I'm not staying put this summer. I will miss her but I think it is for the best. Tristan has already said his goodbyes to her.

So I hear that it is cool in Vancouver (and Seattle!) and that there even is the chance of snow there. I checked [daily dose] today and he had a photo of a pile of snow behind a building in downtown Toronto, so technically we still have snow too. But it's hot and today we have our first smog alert for the year. Crazy weather.

No comments: