Thursday, September 24, 2009

Blue Jay

Most of the blue jays that come to my feeder are young, hatched this year. There's a couple of older adults too. The young ones can't raise their crests yet, or they can, but only just a little. That's one of the ways I tell the adults from the juveniles: when there's a bunch of young jays at the feeder and an older one joins them, he (or she) arrives with crest fully raised and marches around scaring the bejesus out of the youngsters. These pictures are all of a juvenile, hard to get one of an adult with the crest fully raised. At one point I counted eight jays hanging around at the same time. Hardly any other birds come now, except the juncoes and the occasional chickadee.

It's a tight squeeze on this feeder...


See the tail held under the feeder for balance?


A lot easier to just forage on the ground below...


Doesn't like me pointing my camera at it when it's trying eat...

5 comments:

Wisewebwoman said...

Oh they are gorgeous, have you seen any Northern Flickers out your way?
I saw one last year, the colours were startling.
XO
WWW

Annie said...

Hi WWW, Yes we have the flickers here, they are aptly named because you just see the flicker of their rear ends! They mostly hang out around the road and open fields, not so much back in the woods where I am. I have a yellow feather from one, the Yellow Shafted Flicker. Out west where my youngest son lives they have the Red Shafted Flicker, sometimes they wake him up pecking at his window! Visiting him is probably the only time I got to see one close up, around here you just see their rear ends flickering as they fly away.

Tonight six jays showed up to scramble for the last of the birdfeed, quite the Blues Party!

Zach said...

http://nymag.com/homedesign/greatrooms/34728/

check out this gorgeous small house,

Barbara Anne said...

Great photos! We have Eastern Bluebirds and a few hummingbirds joining our blue jays these days.

I'll have to look up Flickers in the bird book.

Hugs!

Alan G said...

I have two feeders quite similar to the one in your photo and Blue Jays frequent it often. Especially because I keep mostly tiny sunflower seeds in it.

Yours probably do the same as mine and land on the feeder, filling their throat pouches up with seeds and then flying off to a sturdy limb nearby where they can dine on steady ground.