Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Joy

This morning Wilfred delivered two cords of firewood to my place. He said he would arrive between 8.30 and 9am, but he was knocking on my door at 8.15am.


I walked with him out to where his truck full of firewood was, I said how lovely the weather was and he said, Yes, September and October are the best months of the year. They make it all worthwhile.

A surprising response but I kind of agree. this time of year makes it all worthwhile. There's a crispness, the air seems clearer and colours so much brighter, it's cold in the morning and cold in the evening and in between it's just right.

The mosquitoes are gone! Over the weekend they all disappeared! I can sit outside and read a book! And I love the nip in the air, it's invigorating and the smell of the woods is sharper. I love setting the fire in the evening and then in the morning waking up in the cold and quickly getting out of bed and downstairs to set a match to the waiting kindling.

I just feel a quiet joy, I haven't felt that in a while. It's wonderful.

The hummingbirds are gone too, alas, I suppose they have all headed south for the winter. But the blue jays are active, I enjoy their flashing blue in my dooryard.

I once went to an exhibit at the ROM of fossil dinosaurs from China, and they had fossils of primitive birds, half way between dinosaurs and modern birds. There was a mock-up of what one of them might have looked like alive, it was a bird with four wings! Both its forelegs and its hindlegs were great feathered wings. The model was shown with blue feathers, it was quite pretty. And these blue jays remind me of that ancient four-winged bird. Seeing them flitting through the yard makes me think of the very first birds.

Wilfred chatted about having delivered firewood here for over twenty years, he rhymed off the names of some of the people who have lived here, most of whom I knew. He asked me what I did, was I a writer? An artist? I said, No, I don't do anything. He said, Oh that's good! Very good! Then he told me about someone he just met who was a pea picker. He makes $20 an hour picking peas. That's impressive. Wilfred then said this same guy makes $100 a day picking blueberries. Highbush blueberries, you don't have to bend down. I said, Good to know, always good to hear about ways to make money, just in case.

The mother squirrel who gnaws on the antlers I am sure is either pregnant or lactating.

We've gotten fairly friendly, she occasionally calls out to me and we "chat". When she's gnawing the antlers I get within a couple of feet of her, but outdoors she prefers I stay about 10 feet away. Two of her youngsters from the previous litter are still around, one of them was throwing pine cones at me this morning. Well, I don't think he was aiming for me, but for some reason he had decided to throw a whole bunch of them down where I happened to be walking.

Yesterday I bought more stuff for the outhouse, some battens and screws. But the screws were the wrong size so I had to go back today to get the proper size. And of course, when I got to the hardware store and picked out the right screws and took them to the cashier, I realized I had forgotten my wallet.

The cashier laughed and said, Know anybody whose account you could charge it to? Well, actually I do, but I didn't think they'd be impressed. But I had an emergency credit card and used that instead.

I have this one credit card I only use when I have no other choice, I keep it separate from my wallet and it has come in handy a few times under exactly these circumstances. I happen to dislike this particular credit card company so I don't like to give them my business, but having this card has proven a godsend enough times that I have been reluctant to get rid of it altogether.

Tomorrow Nancy and I are going paddling on Black River Lake. I was planning to do some repairs on my kayak, but I guess I'll postpone that to another time. This will be a wonderful time to go paddling.

1 comment:

Barbara Anne said...

Hi Anne!

I think your hummingbirds are here in Virginia. I've seen more in the last 10 days than I did all summer. Magic!

Have a wonderful time paddling about tomorrow. Be safe!

Hugs!