Friday, June 6, 2008

Cold morning, truck safetied

It was a cold clear night last night, I had the bedroom windows wide open so when I woke up at 6am it was very cold and I could hear the brook in the vault. I was snug and warm in my bed and hated to get out of it.

Last night I went by the Garden House to check on the kayak and decided to pull out all the wires even though it was probably too early for that. At first I was only going to pull out a few from the seams that had been glued the night before, but one wire led to another and soon they were all gone.

It was still light out so I walked down to the Harbour. The sun was setting over the Bay of Fundy and the tide was out so the Harbour was empty of water. There were a couple of little motorboats sitting on the rocky bottom. At the far end is a waterfall from a culvert under the road, I wonder if that is Fraser Brook, the little brook that runs through the vault behind the house I am staying in.

When I lived here in the '70s there was a government wharf in the Harbour, but that is long gone and the rocks that held it in place are scattered. That wharf was not well protected from storms on the Bay, it regularly got damaged and had to be replaced and I guess once the fishing deteriorated the government quit funding the replacement.

Now there are small cottages along the shore there with nice views of the Bay and the rocky beach. You can see the basalt pillow lava extending out into the Bay.

I had to go into the Valley for my safety inspection appointment this morning, on the way I stopped at the Garden House and checked the kayak.

It seems to be OK in spite of having removed the wires early and it being a rather cold night (epoxy does not cure well in the cold). I mixed up a little batch of glue and glued all the spots left by the wires. So later today or tomorrow it will be ready to turn over and deal with the underside of the deck. I am afraid I might have glued the deck to the frames inside the hull, as I neglected the rather crucial instructions to put plastic or wax paper between the deck panels and the frame pieces, however Mike thinks it's OK. I guess I'll find out soon.

Truck passed inspection flawlessly! The garage owner was extremely impressed with the truck, even calling over some of his employees to examine the underside when he had it up on the hoist. "It's from B.C.!" he explained to them. Trucks the age of mine are usually completely rusted out here, but mine is---well, not exactly pristine---but pretty damn good! Shoulda photographed it! Anyway, I now have a nice N.S. plate with the Bluenose on it (the Bluenose is the Nova Scotian sailing ship that won the America Cup many decades ago, it also appears on the Canadian dime, and you can get a ride on the Bluenose II if you time your visit to the province right) tacked on the rear of the truck. Too bad they only issue one plate, I'd love to have one on the front too!

2 comments:

Barbara Anne said...

Hi AnnE!

So happy to have had time to catch up with the story of your amazing journey home to NS, to see your wonderful photos of your kayak (applause!), home, and lovely surroundings. How delightful that you're tuned in to the names, albeit mostly in Latin, of the beauty that is all around your current abode. Cheers that your neighbors are the friendly sort, too!

Perhaps you'll find a baby tree to plant where your other home used to be? We have a silver maple here, several red maples, and have planted a sugar maple, two pink dogwoods, and three Bradford pears. I've never heard of striped maple, but we may be too far south for that one.

Cheers! Barbara AnnE :D

Anne said...

Hi Barbara AnnE!

As a matter of fact I came here with a little tree in a pot. But it is not doing too well so I am trying to figure out what its problem is and fix it if I can before I plant it. It's a little black spruce so I don't think I can plant it in that grassy meadow, but I hear it has some distant cousins down on the shore of the Bay of Fundy, so I might plant it there