Friday, June 27, 2008

Fourteen nights

A rainy morning today. The smell of the woods in the rain is exquisite. There was a brief period of heavy rain and thunder while I was having breakfast, but it quickly dissipated into mist and very light rain. And stayed there for the rest of the day.

Gluing the deck to the hull is going to take four days even with the extra tie-downs. I moved the tie-downs and did some more gluing today, but there will be more gluing to do tomorrow. I also started filing and shaving the cured glue at the stern end of the kayak, it will go slowly as well.

Looking at my list of steps to complete, I find that no matter how much time elapses and how much work I get done, I still have fourteen more nights to go. The magic number, 14. But Mike looked at the kayak and said that when I was finished gluing the deck to the hull, I could in theory put the kayak in the water. He made a cryptic remark about the tide, I asked him to elaborate but he just said it was him being foolish.

Wandering around in the evening I spotted a few more plants to identify. There are now daisies (Chrysanthemum leucanthemum), buttercups (Ranunculus) and Indian Paintbrush (Hieracium) everywhere along the road, especially where it goes through the field. I spotted Yellow Rattle (Rhinanthus crista-galli) and Naked Witherod (Viburnum nudum) on the edge of the field, and False Solomon's Seal (Smilacina racemosa) in the woods. Blackberries (Rubus allegheniensis) are flowering as well.

The Lupin floral spikes are getting so tall and top-heavy that the plants are starting to topple into the roadway. The Aralia used to have three branches of three leaves each, now there are five leaves on each branch. I'm not seeing Strawberry flowers anymore, I'll have to start looking for the fruits.

I saw the mother rabbit today, not far from Ruth's garden. She wasn't actually in the garden, she's still grazing along the roadway. Mike says he'll have to start thinking about what to do if she moves into the garden.

2 comments:

Barbara Anne said...

Hi Anne,

Will you head home in two or so weeks then? It's astonishing to think you'll have added kayak-making to your CV and life skills and a whole kayak to your list of possessions! You go, girl!!!!!!

I'm glad you're taking time out of your work days to enjoy your surroundings both large and small. You know how to be rich!

Anne said...

Fourteen nights I'm afraid does not mean 2 weeks, I'm only counting the nights that the epoxy must cure. Doesn't include days spent doing anything other than work on the kayak and there will definitely be days like that as well as the fourteen nights!